Friendship Star Quilters, Inc. By-Laws
The name of the organization shall be FRIENDSHIP STAR QUILTERS, INC. (hereinafter “FSQ”.)
The purpose of FSQ shall be to provide a meeting place for beginners as well as experienced quilters to exchange ideas and techniques as they relate to patchwork and quilting, and to encourage and educate members through fellowship, lectures, demonstrations, workshops, general meetings, and a newsletter; to carry on any purpose for which an organization may be exempt from federal taxation under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”) and, with respect to all of the foregoing purposes, to carry on only religious, charitable, scientific, literary and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c) of the Code, or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue law.
- The membership of Friendship Star Quilters, Inc. is open to any person in agreement with the stated purpose of the build upon payment of dues. The membership list will be kept by the membership committee.
- Dues shall be established by vote of the membership at the annual meeting, upon recommendation of the Executive Board and a 30-day notice in the newsletter.
- Members whose dues are not paid by September 15 and who have been duly notified shall not be listed in the yearbook.
- Half-year membership is in effect between January 1 and May 31. Members joining during this period pay half the yearly dues.
IV. OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
- The elected officers shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. They shall be elected at the annual meeting in June for a term of one year. No officer may serve more than two (2) successive terms.
- Duties of the elected officers shall be:
PRESIDENT: The President shall preside at meetings of the general membership and Executive Board, appoint chairmen of committees, and have such usual powers of management and supervision as may pertain to the office.
VICE PRESIDENT: The Vice President shall assist the President and assume the duties of the President in the President’s absence. The Vice President shall also be charged with carrying out such administrative duties as the President assigns.
SECRETARY: The Secretary shall be recording officer and shall conduct the correspondence of FSQ as directed by the Executive Board, and record the legal minutes of general meetings and Executive Board meetings. The Secretary will assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President, Vice President and Treasurer.
TREASURER: The Treasurer shall be the custodian of FSQ funds and shall collect all monies, deposit them in the FSQ account, and disburse funds as directed by the Executive Board. The Treasurer shall keep proper records of all disbursements and receipts. The Treasurer shall prepare an end-of-year balance sheet and proposed budget at the end of the fiscal year to present to the Executive Board at its June meeting. The Treasurer shall prepare and file all required government forms in a timely manner. The Treasurer will assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President and Vice President.
V. FISCAL MATTERS
- No officer shall obligate FSQ to any contracts or expenses without the approval of one other elected officer. No officer may approve an expenditure exceeding an amount to be determined by the Board without the approval of one other elected officer. All contracts obligating FSQ shall be signed by two elected officers.
- Two (2) signatures shall be required on all checks exceeding an amount to be determined by the Board. The checking account shall have three (3) authorized signatories (President, Treasurer, and one other member of the Executive Board.)
- An annual audit will be performed by two (2) FSQ members who are not members of the Executive Board. The audit will be completed before the books are delivered to a new Treasurer (or mid-term in the case of a continuing Treasurer.)
- The fiscal year of the guild is June 1 – May 31.
- FSQ shall meet monthly at a time and place established by the Executive Board. The Executive Board may cancel or add meetings.
- The June meeting of FSQ shall be the annual meeting for purposes of electing officers, amending the By-laws, and conducting such other official business of the organization as may be appropriate and necessary.
- A quorum shall consist of twenty percent (20%) of the membership of the guild.
VII. EXECUTIVE BOARD
- The Executive Board shall consist of the elected officers and chairmen of standing Committees. There will be the following committees: Newsletter, Educational Program Council, Hospitality, Membership, Librarian, Quilt Show and Raffle Quilt.
- A nominating Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Board in April, and shall consist of at least three (3) members. It shall be the duty of the nominating Committee to prepare a list of candidates for office and to secure their permission to be nominated. Nominations will be invited from the general membership at the May meeting. Election shall be by ballot if more than one candidate is nominated. If any one candidate is nominated, election shall be by voice vote.
- The immediate past President and Vice President shall be “ex officio” members of the Executive Board.
- The By-laws may be amended at any regular meeting of FSQ by 2/3 vote of those present, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing to the members at least 30 days before the meeting at which the vote will be taken.
- The By-laws may be amended at the annual meeting if notice of the proposed changes has been submitted to the members at least seven (7) days in advance.
- Where the By-laws are silent, Robert’s Rules of Order will prevail.