The FSQ Membership Year runs from June 1 to May 31 of the following year. Membership is $35 a year. ($20 non-residents of the state of Maryland). Our membership drive starts at the May meeting. You must join or renew by the September meeting to have an entry in our annual Directory. New members joining after December pay about half of the annual dues for that year. Questions: Contact our Membership Committee chair.
Those wishing to become new members can print our form in PDF Format or Word Format. Complete the printed form and mail it with your membership fee to the address given on the form or bring it to the next meeting–we would love to meet you! There may be a problem if Chrome browser is used to download the Word format document, but maybe not. Alternate browsers include Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari which seem to work fine.
Renewing members may renew in person at any meeting or print our renewal form in PDF Format or Word Format. Complete the printed form and mail it with your membership fee to the address given on the form. There may be a problem if Chrome browser is used to download the Word format document, but maybe not. Alternate browsers include Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari which seem to work fine.
Friendship Star offers the following benefits to its guild members:
- A roster of vibrant speakers presenting information on a variety of quilt related topics.
- Non-speaker programs include a fun game night, a year end holiday party and a ‘yard sale’ where you can donate your unwanted supplies, books or UFOs (unfinished objects) and pick up other people’s items–all guilt free!
- A library of hundreds of books and tools from which members may borrow.
- A monthly newsletter. Read an issue of Friendship Star Quilters Quiltline newsletter for an example of the events and activities of the guild.
- Fun social interaction with other quilters.
- The guild provides an annual Membership Directory.
- A retreat is held in January and is quite popular, typically with a waitlist forming.
- Small quilt groups meet for quilting and fellowship outside of the large monthly meeting.
- A platform to show and share your art as a quilter. A portion of each meeting includes a show and tell segment.
- Find someone to carpool to shows such as Quilt Odyssey in Hershey Pennsylvania or Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton Virginia.
- Or carpool to a guild meeting with another member!
- Participation in a biennial Quilt Show held at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland. There are many areas where your skills can benefit the guild and where you can learn a few new skills.
- A mentoring program. Since our guild has grown to over 100 members, one of the programs that we offer is the mentoring of new quilters. It is an opportunity for new quilters to request help and advice from more experienced quilters. Be a mentor!
- SSL hours are available through the guild.
- Volunteer opportunities through one of several Service Projects Committee programs. Sew a baby sized quilt top from a free kit and return it at a regular meeting or at a Service Projects work day. Sew on your own time at your own pace. Sew a pillow case in support of ConKerr Cancer. Kits may be picked up at guild meetings or at a Service Project work day. The guild provides quilts to several shelters in the Montgomery County Maryland area.
- New ideas, new techniques and new quilting perspectives!